After a wonderful pregnancy and the birth of my daughter in 2010, I realized my passion for anything and everything to do with bumps, babies and beyond. This fuelled my decision to become a yoga teacher and specialize in prenatal! Since then, I have become a Doula, teach Prenatal Yoga and host Prenatal Workshops (or ‘Bumpshops’) that support pregnant women and their families.
Enough about me now, let’s talk about you!
Fantastic news! You’re pregnant, but now what? What modifications should you make to the way you work out? Should you take specialized prenatal classes or stick solely to your original fitness program?
Sticking to your usual fitness regime is great (as long as it doesn’t include bull riding or sky diving), but supplementing that with a specialized prenatal class is key! These classes help you to learn about the physiological changes happening inside you, such as, increased relaxin, expanding uterus, rapid hormone changes, shifts in centre of gravity, etc. and the pre-cautions to take to honour those changes.
Understand, you’re not ‘weaker’ because you’re pregnant, not at all in fact! You are a fearless, powerful Goddess capable of amazing feats! Always remember to celebrate your beautiful, bountiful self!
Prenatal Yoga classes do just that! They help you connect to with your self (breath, body, mind), your baby and with other mamas. Classes can enhance comfort, calmness and flexibility. Conscious breathing and supported physical movement are at the core of most prenatal yoga classes—these elements are crucial in prepping you for labour and delivery.
Below are 10 Reason’s why I love Prenatal Yoga.
- Connect with other women experiencing the journey of pregnancy—build community and sisterhood
- Deepen connection with your baby and your self
- Learn effective breathing techniques to aid in the birth process
- Improve sleep, relaxation and comfort—calms the nervous system
- Reduce pregnancy symptoms—shortness of breath, swollen ankles, nausea, tiredness, headaches, moodiness, carpel tunnel syndrome and more
- Improve physical strength, flexibility and endurance of muscles needed for the birth process
- Empower your fearless Goddess—tapping into your intuition and inner wisdom
- Provide clarity and insight while creating your birth vision by useful learning tips and tricks
- Create a space for ‘you’ time—nurture yourself by slowing down and settling inward
- Learn helpful tools to aid in pain relief during the birth process
Every Prenatal Yoga class is different—find one that suits your needs with a teacher to whom you can connect. Passion, information and a love for ‘bumps’, I love this stuff!
Lots of sweet baby love,